Monday, August 23, 2010

first day of first


School is back in session - Nathan's 1st day of first grade! He seemed really excited to go, and I watched as he and Alex walked out the door and down the road. But I guess as they got closer to school, Nathan got closer and closer to Alex. By the time they walked in the door, Alex said Nathan was fighting back tears and pressed up against him. I'm kind of glad it wasn't me taking him this morning - I probably would have started crying watching him try to hold it together. I didn't think about how hard it would be for him to go to a new school and not know anyone on the 1st day. If we were still in OK, he would have had buddies already. He made it though - when I picked him up in the afternoon, he was excited again. He admitted that he was scared this morning, but now he's okay. And he made a couple of friends already (named Micah and Daniel - Nathan has uncles with those names). I think he was most excited about lunch - he has the choice of eating inside or outside, and he ate his lunch outside under a tree today. I think he will be alright (now if only I can make the afternoon walks without getting too stressed out about Jared's bike riding...)

9 comments:

The Purtle's said...

so glad the day was successful. I remember getting nervous on my first days too...us shy people. :)

Carrie said...

Yeah Nathan...We're so proud of you for tackling a new school!!

Debora said...

Cute kid- good luck with school- we know that you will do great.

Gardners said...

Wow - he was really brave! I went to six different elementary schools and it was hard to start over each time. But it does make you stronger!

Mamapierce said...

He's so adorable! :D

Krista said...

Yes, everything being new would be difficult, but I'm glad he was excited when you picked him up - good thing you have brother-in-laws named Micah and Daniel. ;)

Coty said...

Oh, what a brave little man! He looks so cute. Leif starts first grade this Thursday, and Sam starts Kindergarten...I can't believe I have two in school!!!

Good Job Nathan!

Mike said...

neat to hear about these little milestones...glad he did well

Mary Kalree said...

Wow, does this mean I can expect Marielle to be my diaper changing service by the time she is five? Sweet! I guess I'll have to do homeschool so she won't up and leave me.