Monday, January 10, 2011

Christmas

 We started some new traditions this year for Christmas.  On Christmas Eve, the boys got to open one present, which had new pajamas in it.  They looked so cute!  We also had a simple birthday party for Jesus, with a cupcake tree.  The boys got to make a wish for something to give Jesus this year (service) before they blew out their candle.  We also talked about the wisemen and their 3 gifts - I'm not sure if we stuck to that this year, but hopefully we can start the tradition of getting 3 gifts each - meaningful, needful, joyful (plus one from Santa).  I know others have talked about this tradition and I hope to use it in our family.

We had a nice Christmas morning.  I loved seeing the joy on the boys' faces - makes everything worth it.  They woke up around 7:00am, but we made them wait until we were ready to get up (about 8:00am) before they opened presents.  They had separated their presents into their own piles and were patiently waiting.  With presents from Santa, from grandparents and Aunt Jane, they were pretty spoiled.   Weston didn't wake up until about 9:00am, and when the boys helped open his presents, Owen wanted most of Weston's toys.  Owen still loves balls, so he latched right on to one of Westie's gifts.  If the video will ever upload, I might share that one with you.  "They're mines," said Owen.  Nathan also announced after opening all his presents, "I didn't get a single thing I wanted!"  Hmmm... might need to work on that a little bit.  He did decide he liked what he got enough to play with it.  Although I don't like the ingratitude, it is funny to see the raw emotion from kids.  Makes me remember the year cousin Jaden was opening presents - the 1st one he opened was clothes.  He cried.  And then he found out there were more presents.  You just have to laugh at their genuine emotion.  Anyway, hopefully you'll enjoy the video despite the background noise (they also got a Sooners car from grandma, which they're talking about).  You'll have to watch for Owen's little knowing grin when I ask whose toys those are.

4 comments:

Alabama Apples said...

So cute! I LOVE Christmas. I like your new traditions. Growing up we had a little birthday cake for Jesus. It was funny to see how Josiah, who knows the spiritualness, had such mixed emotions. The boyish elation of gifts and knowing it wasn't the real reason. (he still had to count his gifts each day...the number didn't change, but he sure had to count them). :)

The Purtle's said...

too cute!! I love the idea of 3 gifts...and the meanings behind them.

I learned last year with my nephew to give the "bad" gift...i.e. clothes FIRST...because if you give it last, they will seriously care less about it. haha! Kids are so honest.

I'm glad you had a happy Christmas!!!

Oh yes, and I sent you an email...but not sure how often you can check it...but check out Jamie's new blog...the Whacky Weavers!!!

Kathryn said...

Riley keeps stealing Wilco's little squeeze toys. I'm glad to know she's not the only toy snatcher! :)

Mary Kalree said...

Makes me want to start counting down to Christmas again. What a wonderful time of year!