Thursday, January 14, 2010

Am I crazy?

I must be losing it, because I just finished 14 superhero capes for Nathan's birthday party (including one for Nathan, Jared, and Owen)...

but why do I do this to myself? I thought they'd be pretty simple - get them done in a day... well, 4 days later and they're done. The sewing machine wouldn't do the rough side of the velcro, so I had to hand sew 14 of those on (I know, Amanda - I could have used your machine, but Owen has been sick...) And then I got the iron-on transfers for WHITE and it did not work on BLACK, so I had to sew on white fabric (because I wasn't about to pay $18 for the dark iron-on sheets.) They didn't turn out as well as I wanted - they'd look better with another color on the inside, but they'll work for a party. No more birthdays please, because I get these ideas and then go overboard. I can't just do SIMPLE. I can't even bring myself to buy a $25-30 Wal-Mart cake, so I'll be decorating a cake too. Cheap - that's what I am. But the capes only cost about $1.50 each and I got masks on sale after Halloween for $0.20 each (normally $2.00 each). Maybe I'm not that crazy. I'm just THRIFTY, right?! (Nathan has too many friends though!)

Oh, and you have to see the sewing machine I'm using - I'm not a seamstress (the only sewing I know is from 7th grade sewing class), but somehow I find myself sewing for Halloween and other projects on this old machine... it folds down under and doubles as our computer desk.

15 comments:

Burt Family said...

Those capes look amazing! I may have to call you up for some birthday ideas for my kids next go around. I'm out the birthdays for a few months.

Debora said...

As soon as I can figure out how to "send" you a new sewing machine, that's what you are getting. I have been talking about it since Christmas- now I really wish I had done it sooner. Bytheway... the capes look great (even with an old machine :)

Alabama Apples said...

Crazy...yes! BUT, you are oh-so-fabulous! Your sons will remember their birthdays forever and you are so talented! You should hire yourself out as a birthday/party coordinator! Phew, so much work, but on this end it looks fabulous!!!

Amanda said...

I would have brought it over anyway! I think they look great! I can't wait to hear how the party goes... do you need an "official" photographer? :)

great grandma said...

What an AWESOME JOB! Don't know how you got all that done:)! Except.... that you are such an amazing mom! Wish I could be there for the party!

Anonymous said...

Holy moly!! You are crazy and oh-so awesome!! The boys are going to love it!! What lucky little guys! Have a great party and good luck with all those super-heros running around! :)

Mamapierce said...

Those capes are amazing!!! Wow.

whitney said...

Holy Toleto, girly! I'm am super-duper, uber-impressed! Here I got all worn out over three...and they were stretched out over a 3 month span of time. They just look fabulous!

Coty said...

Pat on the back Annie -so cool!
I bet the kids will have a blast with em!

AND you're PREGNANT!...

you should try saying that after everything you do in the day..."i just did the dishes...AND i'm PREGNANT!" soon enough you'll start to realize how super-human you really are (trust me, it works ;)
come to think of it..you should be sporting a cape, too!
Way to go!

The Purtle's said...

wow! You are so creative, I love to see all the ideas you have for your kids' b-day parties. I hope baby #4 is a girl, where I can see what girl b-day ideas you have...and maybe copy a few! :)

Unknown said...

I vote NOT crazy! your capes look amazing- not bad for 7th grade sewing! Thrifty is a GOOD thing!

Maria said...

awesome job! Happy birthday!!

Krista said...

They look great! I made capes for the my and Giselle's kids but not 14 with their initials on each of them. Very, very nice job! They really did look cool!

Debbie said...

I just noticed the link on your Facebook page to your blog. I love that you blog and it looks like you stay pretty current too. Isn't blogging fun?

The capes are amazing. I'm so impressed with your energy and creativity. It took me a while to realize they had the boy's first initial on the back. That's double the work!

Good job on a fun party! Oh, I love a deal too. Frugal is not cheap, right?

Debbie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.