Sunday, January 22, 2012

It's great to be 8!

My parents were here last weekend.  It was great to have them here for Nathan's birthday party, but what they really came for was Nathan's baptism.  We had his party in the morning and baptism in the afternoon.  It was a busy weekend, but we loved it.  

In The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, we believe that the age of accountability is 8 years old.  When 8, children can choose to be baptized and then confirmed, which means to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands.  After Nathan was baptized and confirmed, he officially became a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  And while he may not fully understand this yet, he made promises to take upon him the name of Christ, to always remember Him, and keep the commandments.  Here is a talk on baptism (being "born again") if you're interested.  

The program was short and sweet.  We sang a couple of primary songs about baptism and the Holy Ghost.  I love the words to these songs, so I'll share those.  

When I am Baptized
"I like to look for rainbows whenever there is rain and ponder on the beauty of an earth made clean again... I know when I am baptized my wrongs are washed away, and I can be forgiven and improve myself each day. I want my life to be as clean as earth right after rain.  I want to be the best I can and live with God again."

The Holy Ghost
"When Christ was on the earth, He promised He would send the Holy Ghost to comfort us, our true, eternal friend.  The Holy Spirit whispers with a still small voice.  He testifies of God and Christ and makes our hearts rejoice.  And when we are confirmed by sacred priesthood power, the Holy Ghost is given to us to guide us every hour.  Oh, may I always listen to that still small voice.  And with his light I'll do what's right each time I make a choice."

My dad gave a wonderful talk on baptism and the Holy Ghost (Nathan requested him to give the talk).  Alex performed the baptism and confirmation.  If you're wondering about that, Alex does have the priesthood authority to do that.  We believe that you must be baptized by one holding the proper authority, just as Jesus sought out John the Baptist because he had the authority to baptize.  I'm grateful that Alex is worthy to have the priesthood.  (Not only can he baptize, but he can also give blessings of comfort or healing when we're sick or in special need.  The kids receive blessings before the beginning of the school year.  I have gotten a priesthood blessing before each of my C-sections.  The boys will prepare to receive the Aaronic priesthood when they're 12, which will prepare them to receive the Melchizedek priesthood which Alex and many others hold.  These priesthood blessings must be given by someone with proper authority, but can be given to anyone who asks.  You don't have to be a member of the church to receive a priesthood blessing.  So just in case any of you out there are in need of special comfort or blessings, ask a worthy priesthood holder in our church.  We believe that these blessings are from God and it's comforting to know and feel of His love, and we can also gain direction or peace in the Lord's will for us personally.)  

Anyway, I went off on a tangent, but it was neat to see Alex perform those ordinances.  My dad also participated in the confirmation.  My mom gave the closing prayer.  We're glad they could be here.  Nathan sang a solo as part of the program.  He did a great job singing "I Will Follow God's Plan" - here are the words to that song:   

"My life is a gift; my life has a plan.  My life has a purpose; in heaven it began.  My choice was to come to this lovely home on earth and seek for God's light to direct me from birth.  I will follow God's plan for me, holding fast to his word and his love.  I will work, and I will pray; I will always walk in his way.  Then I will be happy on earth and in my home above."  

We can't take pictures during the ordinances or the program, so I may have to get Nathan to sing the song again here at home.  

We gave Nathan his own set of scriptures with his name on it.  He has already started reading from them.  Nathan is such a good kid, and it was great to see him make this important step in his life and set a good example for his younger brothers.  We love you Nathan! 

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Congratulations Nathan!! What a great day!

Unknown said...

Way to go Nathan! We are proud of you, and wish we could have been there for the special occasion. We would love to hear your solo sometime :)