Sunday, March 2, 2008

books

I'm trying to read more. I've always enjoyed reading, but I haven't neccesarily read the famous books. I pulled some book recommendations off of some aqcuaintances "GoodReads" accounts. I recently read "Night" by Elie Wiesel - it was an incredible account from a holocaust survivor. It's amazing to think about that horrendous event (if that's the right word)- such a tragedy. It makes me wonder how one can get to that point where they could follow a leader that stands for something so wrong. It would be interesting to get inside the head of one of the Nazis who directly took part in the killing of the Jews- what were they thinking? Were they so past feeling that they ignored their natural instincts towards the value and sanctity of life? I just don't understand it.

The other question that comes out of the Holocaust is suffering and why God allowed it to happen. I've been thinking about that lately- why does God allow suffering? One thing I know is that we all have agency, even to the point of choosing to harm others. Agency is such an important part of the plan of God that without it, we wouldn't be able to grow, to learn, or become all that God wants us to be. It's the "refiner's fire"- we have to be tried and tested and refined. And that means suffering. I like to think of a pearl. It doesn't start out as a pearl. It becomes a pearl through irritants within the shell. It's the same with a diamond - it gets refined through high pressures and temperatures.

I came across a quote from President Kimball:

"If pain and sorrow and total punishment immediately followed the doing of evil, no soul would repeat a misdeed. If joy and peace and rewards were instantaneously given the doer of the good, there could be no evil- all would do good and not because of the rightness of doing good. There would be no test of strength, no development of character, no growth of powers, no free agency. There would also be an absence of joy, success, resurrection, eternal life, and godhood."

So, God allows us to suffer so that we can be strengthened and ultimately have joy. It doesn't make it any easier when we have to suffer, but at least we know it serves a greater purpose.

Any thoughts on this? I was also wanting to get some 5-star book recommendations. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

hollase said...

Funk got me some Jane Austen for Valentines Day (one of the two I hadn't read yet)and it put me in the mood for more of her stuff, so once I finished the new book, I've been rereading her other stuff. Nothing ground breaking, just fun to read.

Funk is working through all of A. Dumas's stuff. (remember how obsessed he is/was with Man in the Iron Mask?!?!?!)

So I guess those are kind of "oldies but goodies" that we often forget about. Just a suggestion.

Oh, and for fun I'm also reading "Stop Dressing Your Six-Year-Old Like a Skank" by Celia Rivenbark. She has some pretty funny books out.

Mike said...

I'll ask Carrie for some book suggestions for you - she is a reading fiend. Any particular genre you like?

Mamapierce said...

That was a nice quote by Pres. Kimball. :o)

It's difficult for me to recommend any books to you - because I am NOT a reader, myself. But if you find any worthwhile ones, be sure to post the titles on your blog in case I get the reading itch.