Sunday, March 30, 2008

Soccer!


Soccer season started this week! We had our first practice on Wednesday and our first game on Saturday. It was a hoot! I'm coaching Nathan's 3-4 year old team. There's 1o boys and 1 girl on our team, the "Dragonflies." The DragonFly Day Spa is the sponsor of our team, so we stuck with their name.

I thought I could handle 6 games. Now I'm wondering what I got myself into...

Really though, it's fun and I enjoy trying to teach them soccer and trying to get them to love it as much as I do. It's crazy trying to get them to line up, to get in position, to just listen in general. I figured out that you have to change drills every few minutes or they lose interest. It works pretty well to have them try to get the ball from me while I'm dribbling.

Nathan did score a goal in the first game...for the other team. But hey, we don't keep score in pee-wee soccer and he did make it in the goal. He was so excited; he couldn't stop talking about it. He was excited when anyone scored a goal. It didn't matter if it was our team or theirs. If someone made a goal, he cheered.


It was a little chilly at 9:00am, so they had their jackets and long pants on. Nathan has some little shinguards on underneath his pants. I'll have to take more pics later. This is Nathan and his best friend Garett. Garett wasn't going to play soccer this season, but when I decided I was coaching and Nathan was playing, he decided to play. I hope we make it worth it for Garett. I'm glad he's on my team, because his mom is my assistant coach. I need lots of help out there...

No comments: