Sunday, March 30, 2008

just some thoughts

I guess this is turning into my Sunday insights. I've actually been thinking about this more than today, but when I heard a talk today at church it just got me thinking even more. In the scriptures it talks about putting on the shield of faith to quench the "fiery darts of the wicked." In this talk today, the speaker pointed out that they are fiery darts. Why do they have to be "fiery?" She went on to answer this question. Fiery darts, as opposed to those not fiery, do more long-lasting damage. They don't just pierce you- they burn and damage. These fiery darts are what Satan is throwing at us. She went on to give an excellent talk about how to protect ourselves and our homes against these fiery darts of the adversary.
So I was thinking about what kinds of darts I was allowing to get past my shield of faith. I'm solid on chastity and good at not letting bad things come in through the TV or entertainment. But I think how Satan gets after me is through pride. I don't know about you, but one thing I'm constantly struggling with is my desire for worldly things- "stuff." I find myself wanting more, wishing I had this or that, comparing myself with others. And sometimes I lose focus of what's really important to me. How do we get out of this mindset of always wanting and trying to acquire more stuff?
Alex and I have really been struggling with this. We have chosen a career that makes significantly less money than he could be making. At any time, he could drop what he's doing now and take a job where his salary would be doubled. Our health insurance would be paid for, we'd have some flexibility financially, we could buy a new car, some nice things, etc. So why don't we do that? What's holding us back? I'm not sure, but we do feel like we're where we should be right now, the right place at the right time. We try to think about what's best for Nathan and Jared. But I can't help thinking that we could have more money, more stuff, that life could be more comfortable. I have to keep reminding myself that money doesn't make you happy. I'm trying now to pray that I will be content and grateful for the things we have.

2 comments:

Alabama Apples said...

Soccer Queen! I have to hand it to you...I don't think coaching a peewee team is something I could do!! Hooray for an evening out! Those are FEW and FAR in between for us. I also really enjoyed your thoughts. I have never thought about the word fiery...I am so glad Kit has found a job he enjoys, but the lack of funds is sometimes overwhelming. We are fine, and I try to remember that fine is really GREAT. You know? Even if I need to start buying Christmas in July...things are just that, things. Thank you for your musings. It is nice to know what the Lord wants of us, but sometimes knowing can be hard too when it isn't what you might choose for yourself! Again, thank you for your thoughts.

hollase said...

We had the money...big city lawyer money. It isn't worth it. Why do you think Keith quit that job to go back to school and get a PhD. Granted, we don't have kids, but we have massive medical bills. Life is too short--Alex needs to do what makes him happy. Again, we found out it wasn't money!