Monday, March 3, 2008

locked out


Well, an interesting thing happened this afternoon...
A friend dropped by to return a couple of things to us. I couldn't get the door open. Our house was built in 1956 and so there's a lot of things that need to be replaced. Anyway, it sticks when you open it and you have to push it hard to get it open. I couldn't get it open this time, but I eventually ended up getting it open. So the daughter came to the door and I wanted to run out and say "hi" to her mom waiting in the car. We also had borrowed their carseat and still had that, so I got that out of our van and returned it to them.
She started to head out and I headed back inside- only I couldn't get the door open! I didn't think about not being able to get the door open to get back inside....
Luckily, my friend Mary hadn't left yet, because I didn't have keys, no phone, and I had my socks on. And the temperature was 38 today -the driveway was dry, but it snowed this morning. There wasn't much we could do though. The back door was locked and the boys were inside taking naps. I called Alex, thinking he could come unlock the back door. Well, I guess you can't unlock the back door from the outside. So how were we going to get inside? I tried to knock on Nathan's window to wake him up, but I didn't have any luck with that. Meanwhile, I had walked on the wet ground and my feet were wet and cold. It was nice to be able to sit in Mary's warm car. Alex came home and tried to get the door open (we still thought it was just stuck). No luck...so our only hope was getting Nathan to wake up. Alex went and pounded on his window. We went back to the door and started ringing the doorbell. Then finally Mary saw Nathan peek his head out from behind the blinds. Nathan came to the front door, with a strange look on his face (a "what are you doing?" look).
"Nathan, go unlock the back door for us."
"Why?" (he always has to question everything)
"Because we can't get the front door open."
"Why?"
"Just go unlock the back door."
"Okay."
So we watched him try to unlock the door, and he did it. Luckily, he learned how to turn the lock a few months ago.
Yeah for Nathan! 4-year old saves the day!
So it turns out that somehow I'd locked the door trying to open it. I didn't even know there was a lock on it. There's a little latch on the bottom of the handle. I'll have to be more careful with that next time...and maybe put some shoes on before I go out...

3 comments:

Emma said...

What a crazy story! Glad Nathan saved the day!

Anonymous said...

Oooo, poor Annie!! I am glad that you had a warm van to sit in and that Nathan was able to come to the rescue!!

Jessica said...

Your story reminded me of the day I locked the keys in the car with the kids inside. I was totally panicking until I realized that Benson wasn't buckled in his carseat yet! Unlikely heroes!