Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Angels to bear you up

Doctrine Covenants 84:88  "And whoso receiveth you, there will I be also, for I will go before your face.  I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up."

I had to load up all the boys this morning to take Nathan to school.  Two of them were in the double jogger and two walking.  As we were walking to school (well, actually running since we were late...), this scripture popped into my head and then I couldn't get it out of my mind.  I knew it was my scripture of the day.  I looked it up, wrote it down, and stuck it in my pocket so that I could look at it easily wherever I was during the day and memorize it.  (I thought it was interesting that I was literally carrying a scripture along with me today.) 

I think this scripture is so comforting, especially to moms of young kids.  I'm often asked, "How do you manage with FOUR kids?"  I just don't know sometimes, because it is hard.  We really must have angels to bear us up, maybe unseen, but probably more often by those good people around us.  I really have to have a good support system, through friends and family.  I'm thinking of a song called "Angels Among Us" - I really love the lyrics and think it applies well to the scripture today:

Angels Among Us lyrics
Songwriters: Hobbs, Becky; Goodman, Don;


I was walking home from school on a cold winter day
Took a shortcut through the woods, and I lost my way
It was getting late, and I was scared and alone
But then a kind old man took my hand and led me home
Mama couldn't see him, oh but he was standing there
And I knew in my heart, he was the answer to my prayers


Oh well I believe there are angels among us
Sent down to us from somewhere up above
They come to you and me in our darkest hours
To show us how to live, to teach us how to give
To guide us with the light of love


When life held troubled times, and had me down on my knees
There's always been someone to come along and comfort me
A kind word from a stranger, to lend a helping hand
A phone call from a friend, just to say I understand
And ain't it kind of funny at the dark end of the road
That someone lights the way with just a single ray of hope


Oh well I believe there are angels among us
Sent down to us from somewhere up above
They come to you and me in our darkest hours
To show us how to live, to teach us how to give
To guide us with the light of love


They wear so many faces, show up in the strangest places
To grace us with their mercy, in our time of need


Oh well I believe there are angels among us
Sent down to us from somewhere up above
They come to you and me in our darkest hours
To show us how to live, to teach us how to give
To guide us with the light of love
To guide us with the light of love

7 comments:

Debora said...

Great scripture and song- my favorites.

Gardners said...

Annie, that's really sweet. Love all the pictures of your family having such fun in the fall. Just how it's supposed to be - not stressful, but enjoyable and happy. You can see it on their faces.

Melissa said...

Thanks Annie! Just what I needed today. Brandon left for four days to a conference in Minnesota and I'm already trying to figure out how I'm going to survive without him. I love it. There really are angels among us. What a great scripture too. Thanks!

Micah and Alison said...

Thanks Annie, for the good spiritual thought, although your blog music doesn't quite fit your spiritual posts... :) I'm gonna try to join your challenge, though I'm a few days behind, and I may miss a few when I go into the hospital.

alanna said...

I love that you posted this. It's very uplifting to me right now.
Someone asked me just yesterday, "How do you do it all?" To which I responded, "I don't. I was crying when my husband came in the door yesterday."
I guess having a supportive husband is what makes this chaos even possible for me. He and my mother are the angels that bear me up day to day. :)

P.S. I just love your clan of boys. Our stake president and his wife (they are our age) just had their 5th boy and they all remind me so much of your boys. I think of you guys every Sunday when I see them. :)

whitney said...

Thanks for the pick-me-up, Annie :)

Oh, and love all the Halloween pictures! I can't get over how big your boys are getting!

Landlocked Shores said...

Annie,

I just wanted to check in and let you know I read you blog and how much I am enjoying the scriptures you are sharing. Watching your family grow from afar is also fun ;)

Nicki