Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I did my best TODAY

2 Timothy 4:7   "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith." 

This scripture makes me think of running a race.  I can imagine being exhausted at the end of a race, but able to hold my head up high, and raise my fist with a sense of accomplishment.  "Yes!  I did it!"  We usually think of this as a future event, something that we'll say as we're standing before the Lord to be judged.  But as I was reading and thinking about it today, I realized that this is something we should strive to say at the end of every day.  I did my best TODAY.  I fought a good fight TODAY, I have finished my course TODAY, I have kept the faith TODAY.  The other thing that I noticed is that "I" is used 3 times in it - no one else can do it for you.   And I also noticed that it doesn't say the course, it says my course.  My course is different from anyone else and so I shouldn't compare myself with others.  My road may have been a little bit smoother today, whereas another's may have been an uphill climb.  And to keep the faith every day is no small task - either to be full of faith or to not do anything that would cause us to stray from the faith.  No small feat, but imagine the sense of power from within if we can truly say I was wholly dedicated today and did the very best I could. 

2 comments:

Debora said...

Love those thoughts- thanks.

The Purtle's said...

I've read that verse many times before, but never thought of it exactly that way. Really insightful!! I might have to add that to my memorization list too!