Thursday, November 4, 2010

we rejoice in Christ

2 Nephi 25:23, 26

"For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God;  for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do."

"And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins."

I almost got it right.  It's interesting trying to write the scriptures down from memory, and I see how easy it would be to have a few words changed or punctuation changed.  I am grateful for those who kept records and "labored diligently to write", so that we would have them to study today.  And what they wrote about is a testament of Christ and how we can achieve salvation. 

This scripture comes to my mind every time I hear someone say that "Mormons" aren't Christians.   I think if they realized the actual name of our church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, they wouldn't be so quick to judge.  But also if they knew this scripture, they would know that we talk, rejoice in, and preach of Christ.  But regardless of the opposition, I am thankful for the testimonies of Christ that we have in the scriptures.  I'm thankful for my own testimony that Jesus is our Savior and that His Atonement allows a remission of our sins.