Saturday, November 20, 2010

bread of life

John 6:35
"And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life:  he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst." 

I love this scripture, which mentions one of the roles of Jesus.  He was called many things - the Good Shepherd, the Prince of Peace, Lamb of God, Redeemer, etc.  The bread of life is easy to understand because we know how important bread and water are to our physical bodies.  Just as we're sustained through bread and water, Jesus is what sustains us spiritually.  Tomorrow is Sunday and I'm grateful for the opportunity to take the sacrament.  Hopefully I'll remember this scripture as I'm taking the bread and water, symbolic of spiritual renewal of covenants.  In this scripture, I also like the words cometh and believeth.  Why couldn't he just say he that believeth on me shall never hunger or thirst?  Or use just the word cometh?  I think both words are significant - cometh requires action and believeth implies faith.  Even if we just believe, we won't thirst, but it requires action and effort on our part to satisfy our spiritual hunger.  I think we could go with just water for a while, which is extremely important to survival, but eventually we need more to sustain us.

No comments: