Monday, November 1, 2010

another November challenge...

...but this one wasn't my idea.  This challenge is from Michelle, who I greatly admire and I'm so grateful for her friendship.  I made a challenge last year to do a daily gratitude post for the month of November, and Michelle accepted my challenge.  Now it's time to take HER challenge, which is to post a verse of scripture each day AND to memorize it. Quite the challenge, but I'm up for it.  As if I wasn't busy enough... but as I thought about it, I should have time to read and ponder at least one verse of scripture each day.  It's worth my time.  I think the hardest thing will be doing a daily post about it, so we'll see how that goes.  I'm not sure how I'll choose the scripture, but one immediately popped into my mind today.  So maybe I'll be inspired each day by a thought in my mind or I'll come across one in my reading that speaks to me personally.  The one for today is one of my most favorite scriptures and could possibly be a theme scripture for me.  I already have it memorized... so that was a plus for today! 

Proverbs 3:5-6
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean not unto thine own understanding.  In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths."    

I also did a post about trust last year, so I won't repeat too much of that again.  I will repeat that it's trust in the Lord that allows us to make it through anything, knowing that if we have faith and put our trust in the Lord, things will work out just the way they should.  They may not happen when or how we expect, but we'll find comfort in seeing the hand and will of God in our lives.   

Michelle mentioned the power of God's word in our lives.  I also have noticed that I can remember scriptures and have those come to mind more than anything else I've read.  I still have scripture mastery scriptures from seminary (4 years of early morning scripture study in high school) come into my mind and provide guidance and comfort.  And I was in seminary about 15-18 years ago (gettin' old, by the way...)  What else do I remember from over 15 years ago?  Not much.  But these scriptures that I memorized some 15 years ago keep coming to my mind again and again.  Scripture power!

Thanks for the challenge Michelle - who else is in?

2 comments:

Jeannie said...

I love that verse in Proverbs and leaned on it heavily at one time in my life.

What a great challenge! I want to say I'm up for it, but I'm afraid to commit in case I start slacking. :) But I'll give it a try. Thanks for the reminder!

The Purtle's said...

so excited!! I also love that verse!!! And, I don't think I've ever memorized it, so it might end up on my list too. :)