Thursday, January 24, 2019

Halloween festivities

We had to carve the pumpkins the kids got at the pumpkin patch!


Weston wanted to be an orc for Halloween, which presented a challenge, since it's hard to find orc costumes.  I ended up coming across an old lady mask at the thrift store that I thought could work.  Weston showed me this picture of the orc, so I did my best to create a costume. I had to get out the scissors and black paint to make this lady look more orc like.  She did have a pretty good start already, but we had to get rid of the rosy cheeks and pink lips... some of the neck became ears. 



Jared made this spider decoration, with a little bit of help from Savannah (who really wanted Halloween decorations).  We had a real spider in our front bush - I noticed that people were stopping to look at it. 

There were some really cool decorations in our neighborhood.  Our neighbors always have great decorations - theirs are the first two pictures below.  I took some pictures of some of the other decorations as we were trick-or-treating.  Weston still doesn't like candy, so he refused to go trick-or-treating.  He stayed at our neighbors house and helped scare the big kids that came by. 


Jared caught up with some of his friends from elementary school.  Most of them go to another junior high now, so he doesn't see them very often.  He was happy to catch up for a while.  Savannah was pretty happy with her candy stash. 


We went to the annual Halloween party put on by our good friends Julie and Donald.  It was pirate themed this year, so I decided I could probably come up with a costume pretty easily.  And I actually used some temporary black hair color.  I used some on Savannah too, since she was Snow White (and didn't like her wig).  It was a great party, as usual!  Lots of yummy food and pirate themed activities.  Nathan ran the Captain Hook booth, where the kids tried to toss rings on hooks.  There was also a sand pit to dig for buried treasure, balloon swords, and other fun things.  The kids loved it!  What was also amazing was the large pirate ship in the middle of the yard.  With the blue lights, it looked like ocean waves. 


 I did edible gold spray paint on Oreos to make them look like gold coins.

  

After the party, I posted a picture of me with the dark hair on FaceBook.  I just said that I decided to go dark...pirate dark.  Most people thought I had really dyed my hair black!  It's okay... but I'll keep my red hair. 


No comments: