Monday, January 28, 2019

Joy in the journey

We're trying to find lots of joy in our journey... despite the trials and unexpected things in life.  We lost some loved ones last year, who we miss.  It's been just over a year since we lost Alex's brother Jim.  Ringing in the new year may always have a little sadness associated with it, since it was New Year's Eve when he passed away.  We continue to find peace in the gospel of Jesus Christ and in the knowledge that we'll see our loved ones again.  We are very blessed in our daily lives and the freedoms we enjoy.  Freedom to worship how we choose, freedom from debt, freedom from addictions.  While we're not free from disappointment, sorrows and trials, we feel very blessed in our relationships and family life.  The kids are happy most of the time, we're healthy, and we're pretty spoiled with where we live and our financial status and needs being met.  There are not many things I can think of that can compensate for unhappy kids or unhappy relationships.  We are very grateful to be blessed with happy kids and relationships.    


On Christmas Day, I completed a challenge given by our prophet, President Nelson.  At the women's conference in October, he challenged us to read the Book of Mormon again by the end of the year.  He also asked us to focus on and look for all of the references to Jesus Christ.  And finally, he asked us to talk about Christ with our family and friends.  I shared my experience with reading on FaceBook and I shared my thoughts in testimony meeting at church, but I'm going to share again here.  The book is 531 pages, so it wasn't a really easy task to complete during a busy time of year.  I did complete the task however, and I had an interesting experience with the way that I marked the references.  As I read on my phone, I copied and pasted all of the references into the notes on my phone. When I finished, I sent my notes to my email (so I could get a normal sized font and print out) and printed out all the references.  I was amazed to have 39 pages worth of references to the Savior that I had found.  I'm sure I may have missed a few, but to read through nearly 40 pages of words that testified of Christ was pretty amazing.  The Book of Mormon truly is another testament of Christ, that in addition to the witness of the Bible, brings so much power and peace into my life.  

Just the other day, I was talking to Savannah about Jesus and whether he was alive.  She apparently talked about it with one of her friends at school, who didn't believe that Jesus lives.  I told her that He isn't with us right now on the Earth, but He is very much alive.  Because He lives, we will live again after we die.  And that brings so much peace and comfort to know that our time here is just a small part of the eternal plan that God has for each of us.  We're blessed with this opportunity to learn and grow and make choices and enjoy family relationships.  But that doesn't end when we die, because of the Atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ and because of a loving Father in Heaven who sent His Son to die for us and rise again.   

The kids sing a song in primary at church called He Sent His Son.  I love the words to the song:  

  1. How could the Father tell the world of love and tenderness?
    He sent his Son, a newborn babe, with peace and holiness.
    How could the Father show the world the pathway we should go?
    He sent his Son to walk with men on earth, that we may know.
    How could the Father tell the world of sacrifice, of death?
    He sent his Son to die for us and rise with living breath.
    What does the Father ask of us? What do the scriptures say?
    Have faith, have hope, live like his Son, help others on their way.
    What does he ask? Live like his Son.
  2. Words: Mabel Jones Gabbott, 1910–2004
    Music: Michael Finlinson Moody, b. 1941
The scriptures do show us the way to live, because they testify of Jesus Christ and His life and His teachings. One of the other interesting things I gained from highlighting the references was all of the different titles and names of Jesus Christ.  I know there are other references in the Bible, but these are the ones I found in the Book of Mormon: 

Jesus
Christ
Eternal God
Lord
Son of God
Savior
Messiah
God of Abraham
God of Isaac
God of Jacob
Prophet
Redeemer
Lamb of God
Shepherd
Everlasting God
Rock
Salvation
True Vine
God of Israel
Holy One of Israel
Lord of Hosts
Father
Holy One
Mighty One of Jacob
Great Mediator
Maker
Keeper of the Gate
King of Heaven
King
Light
Immanuel
Wonderful
Counselor
The Mighty God
The Everlasting Father
Prince of Peace
Lord Jehovah
Only Begotten of the Father
Father of heaven and of earth
Son of Righteousness
Beloved Son
Only Begotten Son
Lord Omnipotent
Creator
Lord of the harvest
Great and last sacrifice
Good Shepherd
Light and life of the world
Word of truth and righteousness
Well Beloved
God of Miracles
Holy Child
Eternal Judge
Jesus Christ

No comments: