Friday, January 18, 2019

Weston's baptism and birthday party

Saturday August 11th was a big day for Weston.  His baptism was in the morning. It turned out great!  Although we wish that all of our family and friends could have attended, we had a nice small and simple program.  My parents, my sister Audrey and her family, my parents next door neighbor, and a counselor from the bishopric in my parents ward were in attendance. 

Sam played the prelude music, I played the piano during the program, Audrey was chorister, Nathan gave the talk on baptism, Alex performed the baptism & confirmation and gave the talk on the Holy Ghost, and my parents gave opening and closing prayers.  We also had a musical number by Owen, Weston, Savannah, Eli, and Noah, singing "Nephi's Courage."  The kids did a great job singing.  We all joined in on the 3rd verse.  My mom (as the primary president in their ward) did a primary welcome for him, with a special gift and thoughts for him.  She gave him this towel with the primary song I Like to Look for Rainbows:  "I like to look for rainbows whenever there is rain and ponder on the beauty of an Earth made clean again.  I want my life to be as clean as Earth right after rain.  I want to be the best I can and live with God again." 




In the afternoon, we had a Roman knight themed birthday party for Weston.  My mom and Audrey did almost all of the work in preparing for the party.  I just had to do the cake.  My mom did the decorations, tableware, and knight shields.  Sam was in charge of the pizzas, and Audrey did all of the entertainment.

The cake didn't turn out great, but at least Weston liked the Oreo towers.



The first challenge was building a tower by their blanket fort.  Weston was ready to attack the tower!  It eventually started toppling on its own and then it was mayhem!  Cups were flying everywhere.


Sam set up a virtual tour of the Colosseum in Rome.  Meanwhile, others were building a Colosseum out of sugar wafers and frosting.  They actually did a pretty good job, thanks to Jared as the master architect.



Jousting was a hoot!  It involved rolling buckets to sit in, pool noodles, elbow pads, and helmets with a beach ball attached by velcro.  The goal was to be the first to knock the ball off your opponent's head with the pool noodle (while being pushed by someone in the rolling bucket).  You can see the need for the helmets and pads, as the buckets toppled over easily.  Weston was down on the first try...




...but he didn't stay down.  He got back up again and tried another round.  I think it may have been his 3rd try when he won.  His victory yell was the best part of the whole day!

Audrey and I gave it a go as well, even though we didn't really fit in the buckets.

I don't remember how this one related to the theme, but it had to do with crescent shaped moons (something about the goddess of the moon).  For this activity, they carved a crescent moon out of the Oreo cookie, and then they had to attempt to get the cookie from their forehead to their mouth with no hands.  I think Jared was the only one who was able to do it.  It was pretty fun to try and to watch!



The kids got to watch Mt. Vesuvius destroy Pompeii!  Sam led he pizza making. 


The kids loved the shields and running around trying to hit each other with something similar to water balloons.  It was supposed to be a catapult launch, but they ended up just throwing them at each other.

Weston got some more Legos!  He got the big Harry Potter set in addition to another set because we had negotiated more Legos in exchange for a trip on his birthday weekend in July.  My mom was also able to find a knight Lego guy, which Weston loved. 



It was the best birthday party ever!  

I couldn't fit these in the other collages, so here are a few more of my favorites from the weekend.

No comments: