Friday, November 6, 2009

Humility

I'm thankful for humility, which truly helps me with gratitude. Going without certain conveniences, like vehicles, reminds me how much I appreciate those things. It's so easy to zip around in the car - what a modern blessing! I also am thankful to have a park, store, and school within walking distance. I am thankful again for the beautiful weather, for a jogging stroller, and for naptime...


The second part of my post is about a friend who died 5 years ago. Giselle was a great example for me and I'm grateful for her kindness. She and her family were a great strength to me during those tough teenage years. They were quick to take a shy girl under their wings. For at least one whole school year, I had breakfast at their home after early morning seminary (scripture study), before school. I remember a lot of laughter and good times, hanging out at their house, watching old movies, going on temple trips and church dances (them trying to get me away from the wall), and singing. Giselle had one of the most beautiful singing voices I've ever heard. I still think of Giselle every time I hear "His Hands." Her sister wrote a special post yesterday, which made my troubles seem so small. I wish I'd read it before I posted about my day - she was remembering her sister while I was complaining about car trouble. I am humbled and grateful for the blessing of life and of time with loved ones.

2 comments:

hollase said...

I had no idea Giselle was gone. She was so friendly and did have an amazing voice. She was so good about making people feel welcome---I too have some of those stories. She was one of the older choir members that I definitelz looked up to. So sorry to hear that.

Burt Family said...

Naps- I was just thinking today how grateful I am for naps and wishing this little guy at my house would take a decent one today.