Sunday, November 8, 2009

To teach

I'm grateful for the ability to teach, to testify, to speak from my heart. I'm also grateful for the freedom to worship, and the opportunity to serve that comes along with that. Today, I had several chances to use my "voice" - I was able to teach the 3-11 year old children during Sunday school for what is called sharing time. The assigned topic was "I can be an example for my family." I used a few visual aids to teach how we can be a light to those around us. I asked the children if they've ever been in the dark and how they felt, if they were scared. I asked if they had ever been camping, listening to what's out there and not being able to see it. I got out a watch with a light on it, a candle, a flashlight, and a lantern. I asked them which one they would want to use in the dark. The little ones right away saw how big the lantern was and how bright it would shine. The older kids thought about it more, one of the boys saying he'd want the flashlight because it would be easier to run with... they eventually decided that the flashlight only shone in the direction you pointed it, but the lantern glowed from every side. I testified how we can each be a light to those all around us (even the ones we don't realize might be watching), with the light of Christ in each one of us and following His perfect example.

I also got to speak for a brief moment at a baptism today. I talked about choosing the right and about faith, how it is like a seed that can be planted and grow. And then I also got to go "home teaching" with Alex, to visit a lady in our ward at church. What a great opportunity it is to be able to teach!

I haven't always appreciated this ability - in fact, I didn't think it was something that I could do. Growing up, I was extremely shy - I still am shy, but the opportunities to speak and teach have strengthened me and given me more confidence. I think of the scripture that says, "I will make weak things become strong." I definitely have felt that working in me. I also recognize more what a blessing it is to have a voice. My last year of high school and into college, I literally didn't have much of a voice. I even went to see a speech therapist for a little while. It was frustrating because my voice was scratchy and I had a hard time getting my words out without sounding like I was nervous. I think it was just due to allergies, because it cleared up when I got my allergies in control. However, that time made me appreciate the ability to speak. In high school, I remember riding the bus to a basketball game and being asked why I didn't talk more. Content to sit and not talk to anyone, I said, "There's no need to." How wrong I was, and I see now how I wasn't using the voice that God had given me. And while I still get nervous speaking in front of groups, I am confident that the Lord can mold me into the instrument He wants me to be. And I am grateful for the opportunities to teach of the things that ring true for me.

2 comments:

Burt Family said...

I grateful for you being such a wonderful teacher to my girls and being a great example to them.

Anonymous said...

I can empathize with you on being nervous. I still feel that when I speak somthing dumb and un-useful is going to come out. I need to remember what you have written about letting the Lord use my voice as an instrument.
I AM happy that you have put your fears aside and let yourself speak. You are such a wonderful person and have affected many lives for good. Thank you for speaking up and letting your voice out.